Monday, November 9, 2015

Recovery day 14 - 2 week update!

It's been 2 weeks since my surgery and I feel sorta OK. I woke up this morning and felt a significant amount of pain for the first time in awhile. I'm not sure if it has to do with the way I was sleeping last night or if my facial nerves are slowly waking up. I was given the OK to take ibuprofen again so that's what I've started taking. After I took the ibuprofen and ate something, I felt a lot better. 

While I was at the store, something happened to me that I was not expecting! I FINALLY SNEEZED. It felt SO weird. I half felt it, half didn't since half my face is still numb. I thought it would be scary but it wasn't too bad. Most people who've had my surgery typically end up with a lot of bloody noses so I was warned what could happen if I sneezed soon after my surgery. Fortunately for me, I didn't experience a single bloody nose during my recovery. Not even the first 2 days after surgery when they are super common. I've never been one to be prone to stuff like that so I guess I'm just lucky. I was so surprised at the sneeze that it literally stopped me in my tracks. I had to double check that a giant booger wasn't hanging from my face (there wasn't, thank god!) or blood rushing out of my nose but I lucked out.

The other thing I discovered today is that I can feel the plate they installed in my face when they worked on my upper jaw. The left side of my face has started to get some feeling back and when I press above my upper lip next to my nose I can feel the plate. Again, SO WEIRD. But kinda cool at the same time. It doesn't hurt, it just feels very firm when I press on it. I tried getting Don to press my face in order to feel it too but I think he was grossed out by it so he refused. He's no fun. Hahaha.

I've been brushing my teeth pretty much after eating anything. Stitches seem to be falling out every time I brush which is nice. They are pretty annoying. I've been exercising my facial muscles by trying to smile and trying to purse my lips. I can't do either really well. As you can see, my smile needs some work. It looks semi painful but it isn't. Everything just feels tight. That's the only word that I think really describes how I'm feeling. I'm also still drooling constantly. 




Tomorrow should be interesting. Our neighborhood has been doing a lot of construction which includes replacing all plumbing lines and all utility lines. The gas utility line for our house needs to be updated and they are coming tomorrow to do the work. Hopefully they don't have too many questions for me since I'll be home alone and won't be able to talk much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment