Thursday, November 5, 2015

Recovery Day 10

Wow, I can't believe it's already Thursday. Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been doing a lot of sleeping recently. Last night was particularly bad, we were watching wheel of fortune and I fell asleep before the end of the episode. Don woke me up and brought me upstairs a few hours later and I still slept through the night. The past couple days I've been taking naps during the day and then still sleeping 10+ hours at night. My body must obviously still need lots of rest so I'm not too concerned.

I had my post-op appointment on Tuesday which went very well! Dr Keith was very impressed with how I looked and even more impressed with my jaw movement. I told him that I only took narcotics until Friday and he was astounded. Astounded but very pleased. I honestly didn't really need them. He switched out my elastics for larger ones that give a wider range of motion. He also took off the two elastics in the back and told me I wouldn't need to wear those anymore. He also gave me the good news that I can now slowly introduce softer foods into my diet. I am allowed to take the elastics out while eating but must brush my teeth and then replace them. I've started with mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, really mushy mac and cheese, and applesauce which is great. I'm still on nasal precautions which kinda sucks. At least another 2-3 weeks without blowing my nose and having to use nasal decongestants sprays. I still have a pretty large bruise on my right side that sorta extends down to my throat. It's more yellow green than blue black. Don says that at first look if people didn't know me, they'd think I had jaundice which sounds funny to me haha.

After Tuesday, I started soft foods pretty much immediately. I soon realized that it's a lot harder than I thought it'd be. My jaw can only open so far and my lips are still very numb. I can't really feel the food trying to get into my mouth so I ended up making a HUGE mess all over myself. I figured out a way to not make as much of a mess and that is eating with a mirror. Sounds kind of weird but it actually works. I'm not fully off a blenderized diet, so this is only really a problem when eating soft foods.

My face is still very numb but not as badly. My upper lip and cheekbones have  pins and needles which has been driving me crazy. I haven't sneezed yet which is a blessing. I've heard that the first sneeze can be a little freaky. Not sure if I'm ready for that yet. I have yawned a few times and it feels very strange. Hurts a little but not bad. I can also smile a little without it looking like i'm in pain! It's the little things.

Movies I've watch so far: Edge of Tomorrow, Wall-E, Big Hero 6, A League of their Own, Guardians of the Galaxy

Since today is November 5th, Don and I will watch V for Vendetta tonight (Guy  Fawkes Day tradition). I'm a little excited because it's a tradition we've upheld every year since we started dating. I've been getting a little better each day so I may not continue to write so many updates. I will definitely write up a little something if and when things change. :)

Lastly, some photos! Sorry for the crappy lighting, lol.


No comments:

Post a Comment