Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Deviated septum surgery is tomorrow!

Well, tomorrow's my big day... again. Deviated septum surgery is tomorrow and I actually feel okay about it. My last surgery, well, I was definitely freaked out and way more stressed. This time around, I'm completely cool. Tomorrow's surgery is way less complicated than the last one so I'm not worried at all.

For those wondering, my surgery is tomorrow April 28th at 9:30am at Mass Eye & Ear. I've only ever remembered going to MGH so this will be different for me. The procedure is a day procedure so I'll get to go home the same day. The surgery itself should take about an hour, maybe less. I'm usually a hard person to wake up after general anesthesia so it may take a few hours before I come to. If I'm lucky and the surgery starts on time and I have no issues waking up, I may get home around 2pm or 3pm. If I'm unlucky, maybe closer to 4pm or 5pm.

I'll be out of work for about 10 days so expect me to be watching tv, doing stuff on the interwebs and sleeping. This will be the 2nd time that I won't be able to sleep lying down for a little while. It took me about 2 weeks after my last surgery before I could sleep lying flat again. Not sure how long it'll take me this time around but I can't imagine it being longer than a week.

I'm really looking forward to being able to eat food normally this time around. These past 3 surgeries required a modified diet of some kind so I'm thankful that I don't need to eat pudding or use a syringe this time. I'm also looking forward to popsicles for some strange reason.

My upper teeth may be numb again (le sigh) so not sure how successful I'll be at eating but we'll see. I've also been told I might have some bruising and/or swelling around my nose. I didn't bruise much at all after my last jaw surgery so hopefully it'll be the same this time too.

I'm terrible at trying to explain what's happening to me tomorrow. If you are curious and don't know what a deviated septum is or what the process is to fix on, check out this link here: http://www.healthline.com/health/septoplasty#Overview1

I've read a couple of articles and blogs about septoplasty. One article said to avoid driving for 6 months. I drove 3 weeks after my jaw advancement surgery, I'm pretty sure not driving for 6 months after this surgery is a bit of overkill. Sometimes you just have to laugh cause it's obviously ridiculous.

I'll try to post something when I come home tomorrow but it may have to wait until Friday. For now, wish me good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment