Monday, June 30, 2014

SARPE Recovery - 10+ days

I am now 11 days post surgery and I feel pretty good! My bruising is very minimal and almost completely gone. I also have a noticeable space between my front 2 teeth. Food is still somewhat difficult to chew and process which is why I'm still eating a lot of softer foods. Fish, applesauce, yogurt and ice cream are some of my favorites. Mostly it's hard to chew because things get stuck in PEA or they get caught up in my scar/stitches and it's uncomfortable to fish them out using my tongue. I feel that this will be the way of things for a while. I'll just have to get used to it I guess. :)
Bread is still one of the harder things to eat so I've decided to just forgo it as much as possible. I think cutting out bread will help me to keep off the weight that I've lost. I didn't realize how much bread I was actually consuming before my surgery. Crazy because I didn't think of myself as a huge bread eater! I really only like french toast and sandwiches but I guess I was eating them all the time. I had a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch today and I think that'll be the last sandwich that I have for a while. I felt kinda yucky after eating it and it took me almost 25 minutes to eat the darn thing. Thanks but no thanks.

I have 2 more orthodontist appointments in July and was warned that I will probably need to get refitted for a new PEA. It'll be PEA 2.0! I guess the screw that widens your jaw only has so many turns and it looks like mine are going to run out before my jaw gets to be the right size. AKA they get me a new PEA with a reset screw. Thankfully, I won't have to turn it forever.

Now that I'm 10+ days into my recovery, I know for sure that this was the right thing to do. Yea, it was a little difficult and I know I have a long road ahead of me but I know that it was part of the journey I'm on. If anyone is thinking getting this done but is on the fence about it because they are afraid of surgery or the recovery after the surgery, please don't be afraid. Yea, I was a little sore and bruised after the surgery. And the whole soft food/liquid diet thing was a pain in the butt but it just doesn't compare to how I will feel when everything is done and I have a brand new smile. The confidence boost alone will change everything. I can't wait!

Updates for the next few weeks might be a little sparse because the 4th is coming up along with my vacation! I'll try and post some short updates after my orthodontist appointments. Until then, Happy 4th everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment