Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Work Up! Physical! Pre-op Admissions! 26 days to go!

I had my first HUGE pre-op appointment on Monday. The appointment went from 8am-around 1:30ish. It was a super long day and I'm glad it's over and done with.

I took the train in, which wasn't too bad. I grabbed the T at the green-line Woodland stop and took it all the way to Charles/MGH. It took about an hour and wasn't a bad ride at all. I got off the train at MGH and thought to myself, "I could maybe do this everyday... This wouldn't be so bad if I had to work in the city..." As I exited the station, the stench of fresh piss hit my nostrils and all I could think of was "NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE." Haha, thinking back on it now it was too funny how quickly my mind changed in that instance. Also, I have a terrible poker face and I'm sure my disgust was plain to see. LOL!

The worst part of the day was the first appointment which was the work-up portion of the appointment. I had to do 12 impressions (6 uppers, 6 lowers), 4 bite impressions, x-rays, and photos. My jaw was a little sore after but not too bad. We discovered that my face isn't symmetrical. I mean, I know that no one's face is perfect but looking at pictures with me straight ahead it was so obvious. One of my eyes is way funky. And not like, lazy funky. Like, one of my eyes is physically lower than the other one. It took awhile for the tech and surgical resident to map out my face correctly. Jeez! Way to give a girl a complex.

After that, I had a pre-op physical which was pretty routine. They did it right in the same office as the work up so I didn't have to go anywhere which was nice. The appointment was super easy, just had to answer a bunch of questions. The nurse practitioner who did the appointment with me was kind of ditzy but we got through it together, haha. She did give me a packet with information about a blender-based diet (yaaaaaaay. can you hear the excitement?!). There are a few no-brainer recipes on there but a few I hadn't thought about. I bought peanut protein powder from amazon to go into shakes and stuff. Hopefully that'll help. They also recommended to give baby food a go (bleh) but maybe I can find some interesting recipes on pinterest.

After the physical, I had a meeting with a member of the anesthesia staff. She was a CRNA and super nice. Once she realized that I worked in a hospital OR, the appointment went by in a breeze. She was so fun and easy to talk to. It's obvious why she's a nurse cause she was very personable. If you have to go to pre-op admissions and get to talk to "Christina", she's the best. Super nice and very helpful! She answered a bunch of questions I had and even gave me some answers to things I hadn't thought of. I'll definitely be updating the Questions part of the blog soon (if not tonight).

Other than that, I'm good until my final pre-op with doctor keith in 3 weeks. WOW. Time sure does fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment