Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Recovery - TMJ Procedure

Well, it's been a little over a week since my surgery and I feel great! I got my stitches taken out today and I have to say that it was very strange. I've never had stitches before the feeling of them being taken out was totally bizarre! But it didn't hurt one bit which was good.

For those wondering about after the surgery, here's my advice!


  • Before you leave the hospital where you had your surgery, make sure you (or your reliable loved one) have any discharge papers. My nurse in the PACU (or Post-Op area for those not in the medical field) put together a folder for me. Inside it were my discharge papers, my instructions on what to do and what not to do while healing, and my prescriptions. It also contained a card with my follow-up appointment on it and the time. 
  • If your doctor tells you to do something (like physical therapy), don't blow them off and not do it. I followed my doctor's instructions for after surgery and I believe it is the reason why I feel so great only a few days into recovery. They know what they are talking about so make a strong effort to do what they tell you to.
Next, here is what I did per my oral surgeon's instructions after surgery. If you are having a similar procedure, you can expect to have to do something like this.

  • For the first 48 hours, use the provided ice pack in 30 minute intervals. (Basically, when I wasn't sleeping, I was icing my face. Doing this was a major part of why I think I'm doing so well.)
  • On the first day, do not take a shower. After the first day, you can take a shower and wash your hair being careful of the stitches. (You have no idea how difficult this was! I felt so gross after surgery that all I wanted to do was wash my hair and go to bed). 
  • After 48 hours, switch to low heat using a heat pack or warm, damp washcloth. Do this in 1 hour intervals for 24 hours and then every 3 hours. 
  • Do jaw joint exercises/stretches as directed by Dr.
  • Do not chew any hard or chewy foods for first 72 hours (candy/hard crunchy vegetables/gum/steak/etc. You won't be in the mood to want them anyway.)
  • Do eat soft foods such as yogurt, mashed potatoes, apple sauce, jello, pudding, icecream, smoothies. (I had my operation right after thanksgiving so we had tons of soft foods like mashed potatoes, squash, and pumpkin pie that I could eat which was wonderful! After the first 3 days, I started eating pasta like mac n cheese which was also good.)
My recovery time was approximately 10 days. However, I work in a hospital and my surgeon was concerned about germs (since it's that wonderful time of year!). He really wanted my stitches to be completely healed up before allowing me to go back to work. Getting an infection inside an open wound with direct access to a joint would not be fun. Most people can probably get away with 5-7 days for recovery. Definitely talk to your doctor and bring up your concerns about going back to work (if you have any). 

And now, here's a lovely picture of me after my surgery. My throat was really sore after because they inserted a breathing tube while I was out under the anesthesia. The PACU nurses were kind enough to give me popsicles! This is me trying to smile. Some of my muscles were still sleepy so it took a little bit for them to wake up. I'm also wearing my face bra, haha. On a funny note, my hubby got yelled at for taking this picture of me. I asked him to take this photo so that i could post it on the blog. Well, a nurse saw him taking a photo and yelled at him. His face was price less because he had to tell her, "She told me to do it." I guess nurses frown upon people taking photos of other people while under the effects of anesthesia. If you plan on talking any photos, make sure you clear it with a nurse first, lol.

And that's about it for this surgery! It really isn't that bad. If your MD or Surgeon suggests you get this surgery, it really is very minor. I'd highly recommend it! If anyone has any questions, please feel free to post a comment down below.


This was day 2 of recovery. You can see my drugs on my nightstand and my puppy keeping me company. I was very happy cause I had just taken a shower! HAHA.


Next time, I'll talk about the next stage of this journey which is braces!!

No comments:

Post a Comment