Wednesday, October 2, 2013

1st Post and About Me

Well, hi there! My name is Nikki. I've started this blog because I have a lot of issues with my jaw. It's a total hot mess. And I know that there are a lot of people out there who also suffer from jaw pain. I feel I'm obligated to share my experiences with those who are searching for answers. I know there are a lot of other blogs out there on this exact topic but I figured that every experience is different and one more couldn't hurt.

Before I go on and talk about my experiences, I have to give a slight disclaimer. Everyone is different and what might work for me, might not work for another person. If you are unsure about anything that I've done but are willing to give it a shot anyway, it can't hurt to double check with your doctor/dentist. They'll be able to give you good advice and hopefully lead you in the right direction. Feel free to tell your doctor that some crazy lady online mentioned that blank worked for them and see what they say. However, for the most part, everything that I've done has been recommended to me by my doctor/dentist/oral surgeon.
OK, enough of that!

So I'm sure most of you are wondering, what's wrong with your jaw? Well, there are quite a few things wrong with my jaw.
1. Dislocated discs in both sides of my jaw - This is the primary reason for all my pain. It's not bad enough that I need to be on pain meds on a daily basis but I've been warned that left untreated, my pain could progressively get worse. Certain foods are nearly impossible to process, like steak or really chewy items (like gum or candy).
2. Misaligned bite - my teeth don't really touch each other. My bite is too high and far forward. My top incisors touch my back teeth which I guess is not normal, haha.
3. Crowding - My top front teeth are pretty crooked. This will need to be fixed with braces.

The disc problem seems to be ok for me. I've been told that I should have a jaw arthoscopy procedure which involves flushing out the jaw joint with saline and then injecting the area around the joint with steroids. I've been taking some supplements that seem to be helping with my pain a little so I haven't really decided if I actually need to have this procedure.

I have also been told that in order to fix my bite, I need to go through orthognathic surgery. That involves taking my upper jaw, breaking it, moving it into the correct position and adhearing to an all liquid diet for 6-8 weeks. I've gotten 3 separate opinions and seem resigned that this is what I need to do in order to get my bite better. HOWEVER, I need to be in braces for at least 10 months to a year before I can even get the surgery.

So I have disc displacement, a misaligned jaw, and some crazy crowding. I'll at least be getting braces in early 2014 which means that I'll be eligible for orthognathic surgery in January 2015 (at the earliest).

I will periodically post about things I am going through, good and bad. I apologize in advance if I sound like a whiney baby or if I sound completely unreasonable. I'll try to be as real as possible without being a total diva, promise! Don't think I'll be able to post everyday but I'll try to at least keep things somewhat updated. Once I have surgery, I may post a lot more.

And lastly, I want to thank all my friends and family for the support they've given me during this time. Especially my husband, Don. I don't know where I'd be without you!

Holy moly, that was long. I doubt I'll post anything this long ever again. Anyway, til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment